Thread: HP 3015 plug into fxs doesn't ring, receive call

whitewater Guest

Default HP 3015 plug into fxs doesn't ring, receive call

Hi,

i hope my subject is in correct heading.

i have a pika with 4 FXS additionnal ports. fax with brother fax machine or HP2727 work very well.
    sending, receiving a huge fax test page (6 pages with a big photo) : ok.

now, problem with a HP3015.
    sending fax : ok.
    receving fax : HP doesn't ring.

I connect an analog phone instead of the fax.
    from a SIP phone in hand, I dial fax extension number. the phone rings and I let it ring.
    I unplug the cable analog phone, I plug it to the fax machine : nothing happens. no sound, nothing on the screen of the fax.
    I hear the phone ring the SIP speakerphone.
    I reconnect the cable to the analog phone and the phone rings.

if i plug fax machine to an operator analog line (france telcom), it's ok.

I have 2 HP 3015. I repeated the same test with two machines : same results.
    HP2727, ok.

i have test :
    pika.conf : change tx_gain and/or rx_gain=0 to 2 or 4 : same.

have you got an idea ?
    thank you very much.

I don't think there is any configuration that can be done.

First, have you tried using different FXS ports to rule out a port specific hardware problem?

Otherwise, the problem could be a) the ring frequency or b) the REN.

a) from the Warp's hw doc I see it produces a ring frequency of 20Hz. For most classes of devices this frequency will not be a problem so I think it is unlikely this is the cause of the problem.

b) probably much more likely is the REN. REN is the ringer equivalent number. It is generally used to determine the quantity of devices which may be connected to a port. This is typically related to the impedence of the device. Most devices will publish a REN number on a label (although sometimes this is encoded into a number on the back of the device starting with 'US'). You should check this number.
    The Warp has a REN number of 1. But a typically PSTN line may have a REN of 5. If the HP devices REN number is larger than 1 this may explain why this HP device is not ringing when connected to Warp. If you have any devices connected to the HP you might also want to try disconnecting them as they may be causing additional impedence.

whitewater Guest

Firstly, sorry for the delay in replying.
    thank you very much for all these explanations.

1. REN number.
    I did not label with a REN at the back of the unit. and ... here can not begin because I am from U.S. to France;-)

2. test with hp3390
    I did some tests with a HP3390. such, it does nothing.

3. "telecom version"
    from printers web page, here information of "telecom version" :
    hp2727: 05-047-001
    hp3390: 03-047-001

it might help to have the REN? maybie first number ?
    hp2727 is a more recent than hp3390.

4. phone plugged into the printer (phone line).
    all my tests are done without a phone plugged into the printer.
    if I plug one, the phone rings, but not the printer.

5. change port FXS
    tested on 4-port FXS + card internal port. same, nothing happen.

6. zaptel.conf
    Once when I tried this. changes to the file /etc/asterisk/zaptel.conf
    I changed the lines Loadzone and defaultzone with = fr
    same.

7. swap hp2727 and hp3390. hp2727 ring but not hp3390.

if it maybie ring frequency of 20Hz, it is possible to change it ?
    thank you for your answer.

Since you can ring a phone attached to the printer I would suspect that the ring generation is working. Changing zaptel.conf will not help as the fxs port is controlled by chan_pika. And the ring frequency can not be changed.

Do you have some Asterisk logging output of the failing case you could post? Preferrably with 'core set verbose 9' and 'pika debug enable' commands used to setup the logging.

whitewater Guest

Hello,

thank you for information about chan_pika.
    here asterisk output logging when i make call. my extension 157. hp printer is on fxs port 4, extension 111.

thank you

Verbosity is at least 9
    -- Remote UNIX connection
    warp*CLI> pika debug enable
    pika debug is now enabled
    == Parsing '/etc/asterisk/manager.conf': Found
    == Parsing '/etc/asterisk/manager_additional.conf': Found
    == Parsing '/etc/asterisk/manager_custom.conf': Found
    == Manager 'admin' logged on from 127.0.0.1
    == Manager 'admin' logged off from 127.0.0.1
    Extension Changed 157[ext-local] new state InUse for Notify User 134
    Extension Changed 157[ext-local] new state InUse for Notify User 137
    Extension Changed 157[ext-local] new state InUse for Notify User 135
    Extension Changed 157[ext-local] new state InUse for Notify User 130
    Extension Changed 157[ext-local] new state InUse for Notify User 140
    -- Executing [111@from-internal:1] Macro("SIP/157-5078d338", "exten-vm|novm|111") in new stack
    -- Executing [s@macro-exten-vm:1] Macro("SIP/157-5078d338", "user-callerid|") in new stack
    -- Executing [s@macro-user-callerid:1] Set("SIP/157-5078d338", "AMPUSER=157") in new stack
    -- Executing [s@macro-user-callerid:2] GotoIf("SIP/157-5078d338", "0?report") in new stack
    -- Executing [s@macro-user-callerid:3] ExecIf("SIP/157-5078d338", "1|Set|REALCALLERIDNUM=157") in new stack
    -- Executing [s@macro-user-callerid:4] Set("SIP/157-5078d338", "AMPUSER=157") in new stack
    -- Executing [s@macro-user-callerid:5] Set("SIP/157-5078d338", "AMPUSERCIDNAME=My Name") in new stack
    -- Executing [s@macro-user-callerid:6] GotoIf("SIP/157-5078d338", "0?report") in new stack
    -- Executing [s@macro-user-callerid:7] Set("SIP/157-5078d338", "AMPUSERCID=157") in new stack
    -- Executing [s@macro-user-callerid:8] Set("SIP/157-5078d338", "CALLERID(all)="My Name" <157>") in new stack
    -- Executing [s@macro-user-callerid:9] GotoIf("SIP/157-5078d338", "0?continue") in new stack
    -- Executing [s@macro-user-callerid:10] Set("SIP/157-5078d338", "__TTL=64") in new stack
    -- Executing [s@macro-user-callerid:11] GotoIf("SIP/157-5078d338", "1?continue") in new stack
    -- Goto (macro-user-callerid,s,18)
    -- Executing [s@macro-user-callerid:18] NoOp("SIP/157-5078d338", "Using CallerID "My Name" <157>") in new stack
    -- Executing [s@macro-exten-vm:2] Set("SIP/157-5078d338", "RingGroupMethod=none") in new stack
    -- Executing [s@macro-exten-vm:3] Set("SIP/157-5078d338", "VMBOX=novm") in new stack
    -- Executing [s@macro-exten-vm:4] Set("SIP/157-5078d338", "EXTTOCALL=111") in new stack
    -- Executing [s@macro-exten-vm:5] Set("SIP/157-5078d338", "CFUEXT=") in new stack
    -- Executing [s@macro-exten-vm:6] Set("SIP/157-5078d338", "CFBEXT=") in new stack
    -- Executing [s@macro-exten-vm:7] Set("SIP/157-5078d338", "RT=""") in new stack
    -- Executing [s@macro-exten-vm:8] Macro("SIP/157-5078d338", "record-enable|111|IN") in new stack
    -- Executing [s@macro-record-enable:1] GotoIf("SIP/157-5078d338", "1?check") in new stack
    -- Goto (macro-record-enable,s,4)
    -- Executing [s@macro-record-enable:4] ExecIf("SIP/157-5078d338", "0|MacroExit|") in new stack
    -- Executing [s@macro-record-enable:5] GotoIf("SIP/157-5078d338", "0?Group:OUT") in new stack
    -- Goto (macro-record-enable,s,16)
    -- Executing [s@macro-record-enable:16] GotoIf("SIP/157-5078d338", "1?IN") in new stack
    -- Goto (macro-record-enable,s,21)
    -- Executing [s@macro-record-enable:21] ExecIf("SIP/157-5078d338", "1|MacroExit|") in new stack
    -- Executing [s@macro-exten-vm:9] Macro("SIP/157-5078d338", "dial||tr|111") in new stack
    -- Executing [s@macro-dial:1] GotoIf("SIP/157-5078d338", "1?dial") in new stack
    -- Goto (macro-dial,s,3)
    -- Executing [s@macro-dial:3] AGI("SIP/157-5078d338", "dialparties.agi") in new stack
    -- Launched AGI Script /var/lib/asterisk/agi-bin/dialparties.agi
    dialparties.agi: Starting New Dialparties.agi
    dialparties.agi: Caller ID name is 'My Name' number is '157'
    dialparties.agi: USE_CONFIRMATION: 'FALSE'
    dialparties.agi: RINGGROUP_INDEX: ''
    dialparties.agi: Methodology of ring is 'none'
    -- dialparties.agi: Added extension 111 to extension map
    -- dialparties.agi: Extension 111 cf is disabled
    -- dialparties.agi: Extension 111 do not disturb is disabled
    > dialparties.agi: extnum 111 has: cw: 1; hascfb: 0 [] hascfu: 0 []
    dialparties.agi: ExtensionState: 0
    -- dialparties.agi: dbset CALLTRACE/111 to 157
    -- dialparties.agi: Filtered ARG3: 111
    -- AGI Script dialparties.agi completed, returning 0
    -- Executing [s@macro-dial:7] Dial("SIP/157-5078d338", "PIKA/fxs/4||tr") in new stack
    -- data received: fxs/4
    device: fxs, port: 4, group: 0 destination: 4
    -- group 0/0 channel 3/3 type=5
    -- Called fxs/4
    -- PIKA/fxs/4 is ringing
    Extension Changed 157[ext-local] new state Idle for Notify User 134
    Extension Changed 157[ext-local] new state Idle for Notify User 137
    Extension Changed 157[ext-local] new state Idle for Notify User 135
    Extension Changed 157[ext-local] new state Idle for Notify User 130
    Extension Changed 157[ext-local] new state Idle for Notify User 140
    == Spawn extension (macro-dial, s, 7) exited non-zero on 'SIP/157-5078d338' in macro 'dial'
    == Spawn extension (macro-exten-vm, s, 9) exited non-zero on 'SIP/157-5078d338' in macro 'exten-vm'
    == Spawn extension (from-internal, 111, 1) exited non-zero on 'SIP/157-5078d338'
    -- Executing [h@macro-dial:1] Macro("SIP/157-5078d338", "hangupcall") in new stack
    -- Executing [s@macro-hangupcall:1] GotoIf("SIP/157-5078d338", "1?skiprg") in new stack
    -- Goto (macro-hangupcall,s,4)
    -- Executing [s@macro-hangupcall:4] GotoIf("SIP/157-5078d338", "1?skipblkvm") in new stack
    -- Goto (macro-hangupcall,s,7)
    -- Executing [s@macro-hangupcall:7] GotoIf("SIP/157-5078d338", "1?theend") in new stack
    -- Goto (macro-hangupcall,s,9)
    -- Executing [s@macro-hangupcall:9] Hangup("SIP/157-5078d338", "") in new stack
    == Spawn extension (macro-hangupcall, s, 9) exited non-zero on 'SIP/157-5078d338' in macro 'hangupcall'
    == Spawn extension (macro-dial, h, 1) exited non-zero on 'SIP/157-5078d338'
    warp*CLI>

Hi whitewater,

Everything looks good from the trace. I think I know what is wrong.

I suspect the device is sensitive to the cadence of the ring because of localization settings. Here is something to try - in the file '/etc/pika/incringpatterns.cfg' on Warp I would suggest the following additions. 'FranceRingback' in this case is being defined as 1.5 seconds on and 3.5 seconds off. But you may also want to try 1 second on and 3 seconds off which is more generic to Europe if this does not work. The ring pattern at index 0 must be set to have an affect.

[ring_patterns]
    ringpattern0=FranceRingback
    ringpattern5=NorthAmericanInternal
    ringpattern6=NorthAmericanExternal
    ringpattern7=EuropeanInternal
    ringpattern8=EuropeanExternal

[FranceRingback]
    states=2
    state0=1500
    state1=3500

This change would require a reboot of Asterisk to take affect.

whitewater Guest

thank you for this, but no success. here my modifications :

[ring_patterns]
    ringpattern0=FranceRingback - added

i added at the bottom of the file :
    [FranceRingback]
    states=2
    state0=1500
    state1=3500

but asterisk don't start when i press "restart" for asterisk.

if i replace state0 and state1 value :
    state0=1000
    state1=3000

asterisk don't start too with only one value state0=1500 or state1=3500 modified.

ok, asterisk start. but no ring when i call the HP.

Hi whitewater,

Yes. This is not working as I forgot about this limitation present in a comment in the incringpattern.cfg file.

; NOTE: The total duration of all states in a cadence must be a factor of 12
    ; seconds (e.g. 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, or 12 seconds).

This explains why some of your attempts (like 1s/3s which is 4s total) worked with Asterisk and some other did not (like 1.5s/3.5s which is 5s total). Sorry for not catching this before you tried the settings.

I still believe the problem could be related to the ring cadence though. The reason for believing this is after quickly looking at the service manual for the HP3015 (hopefully it is the right one) I did come across a section mentioning that ring candence was important. And this would certainly explain why the device works against your France Telcom line and not the Pika.

As a reference - the service manual I found is at this link and I have highlight the relevant 'Ring detect' section below. http://www.feedroller.com/Store/Serv...20sm%20MFP.pdf

"Ring detect
    Another optically coupled signal on the LIU is ring detect. Ring detect is a combination of
    voltage levels and cadence (time on and time off). Both must be present in order for the
    product to detect a valid ring."

If this is the correct manual then I suspose one thing that could be tried to verify this theory is to remove the changes made to the incringpatterns.cfg file on Warp and then to configure the HP3015 device to a country that uses a 2s on / 4s off ring cadence.
    The country setting is mentioned in the 'Troubleshooting' section of the service manual under the heading 'Adjusting the country/region code parameters'. A list of countries and their settings can be found under the heading 'System settings for localized'. Any USA based LIU one should be trying to detect 2s/4s ring. Unfortunately with this change this fax machine will likely no longer be operational against a line from France telcom but on the other hand the mystery would be solved.

whitewater Guest

it does not matter to oblivion on the accuracy of the limitation.
    thank you for your research of the service manual because it paid off:
    I could change the location. no country in Asia or USA in the list, but Israel has worked! Austria was the default. I have not tried France, but Israel is working. I thought something like that but I could not find settings to change it.

I put Israel thinking of a different continent than Europe. However, the LIU is on Europe in the manual. curious that it works.
    thank you very much for your help.