Thread: Recording does nothing

iric Guest

Default Recording does nothing

Hi all,

I enabled the recording function. I inserted an SD card, formatted it with the special command and it's /mnt/sd
    But when I enter /mnt/sd/ for recording path (in general settings) and override all in order to record everything, incoming and outgoing, it doesn't record a thing.
    Any ideas on this?

I think I would be suspicious of permissions. On Warp, Asterisk/FreePBX runs as the 'asterisk' user however most folders on the SD card will have 'root' permissions. Using chown I would suggest changing the target logging directory to have 'asterisk' user permissions with a command like the following.

chown -R asterisk:asterisk your_logging_directory

Hope this helps.

Unfortunately I have tried changing the permissions here on my local unit and this still did not seem to resolve the problem. Back to the drawing board.

iric Guest

Hmm in stead of SD the USB will be fine too.
    Or maybe on some kind of share? I just want to record all conversations, incoming and outgoing and just leave them until I ever need one.

Ok, I got this work. To record all calls in FreePBX you need to set 'Record Incoming = Always' and 'Record Outgoing = Always' on each extension and ensure 'Extension Recording Override' is disabled.

Here are some associated posts on the topic.
    http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...m/1048823.html
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r192...call-recording

So ultimately here was my final configuration:

On each extension:
    Record Incoming = always
    Record Outgoing = always

In General Settings:
    Extension Recording Override = disabled
    Call recording format = ulaw
    Recording Location = /mnt/sd/

Just as a word of caution - depending on the call traffic, recording every call could be taxing on the Warp. I would also recommend ulaw as a recording format to save CPU cycles.

iric Guest

There will be only 1 call at a time.
    ulaw is unplayable for me and as I'm in Europe I think I should stick to alaw, but I don't have a player (under Windows) that plays either of them.
    Any hints on this? My plan was to go for .wav, because I can play that on my Windows machine.

I apologize alaw would be perfectly fine. Alternatively the wav format would work as well and as you mentioned these would be playable in Windows.
    Finally because you are only recording one channel at a time I believe even high compression formats would be fine in this case.