PDA

View Full Version : Getting Started with early Warps

pikasupport
11-16-11, 12:31 PM
In the absence of documentation here are some questions and answers to get started for those who have received an early version of Warp v2. Alternatively the formal release of the product will be soon and accompanying documentation will be available then.

Question: How do I get started?

Answer: To start we would strongly recommend getting a SD card and putting it in the unit. Once done you can log into FreePBX and under the 'Tools' under 'WARP System Tools' > select the 'NAND to SD copy' option. This will transfer all the contents of the on board NAND memory (a starting FreePBX solution) to SD. The reason for doing this is because the SD card will have much larger memory to support extra software of your solution. In this way think of the SD card as a removable hard drive.

Once you have done this you will now be running the majority of software from the SD card and all the memory will be writeable. PADS is no longer used for development. Instead the unit is a Debian based OS and package addition, file layout, etc. will be the same as if you were developing on a Debian PC (for example, using apt-get to retrieve packages).

For this, Debian documentation should be helpful.

During the process periodically you will want to run 'apt-get upgrade' to collect the most recent versions of Pika software as this software is still being improved daily.

When you have completed development you can create a tarball of all the contents of your SD card and copy this to another SD card to replicate the solution to other Warps.

================================================== ==========

Question: How do I factory recover my unit?

Answer: If you NAND image is failing, to recover any Warps back to Pika's latest software you can execute the following commands.

apt-get update
apt-get install warpfailsafe
echo "3"> /proc/warpbootcount

The process can take some time. A more refined process for factory reset will be provided in the final product.
If you were using SD and it was failing you should re-format the card and re-execute the NAND to SD transfer.

================================================== ============

Question: Is it possible to recover a unit via USB?

Answer: Yes, however this is typically reserve as a last resort.

================================================== =============

Question: How do I perform updates of Pika software?

Answer: When running from SD you can regularly use the 'apt-get upgrade'

Question: Can I copy the NAND to SD using the command line?

Answer: The command to do this is 'warp-nand2sd' from the SSH command line. This will format the SD card to ext4 and copy the baseline software from NAND to SD. After executing the command it will perform the operation and reboot the unit. From this point you will be running all software from the SD card.

Question: Can I compile applications on the Warp?

Answer: Yes. Once running from SD, the package you will need to compile is 'build-essential'. The command to obtain this would be 'apt-get install build-essential'.

================================================== =====================

Question: When I have finished development how do I clone my SD card to reproduce it?

Answer: The easiest way to clone the SD card is to create a tarball of all the files on the SD. For example on Warp,

sudo tar -cjvpf warpmaster.tar.bz2 /media/WARP-SD/*And then copy this to a Linux PC with a SD card reader. Then a new SD card can be created with the same software by simply formatting and mounting, copying the tarball over to the new card and untarring. For example on the PC,

mkfs.ext4 -L WARP-SD /dev/sdb1
mkdir -p /mnt/WARP-SD
mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/WARP-SD

cd /mnt/WARP-SD
tar xjvf warpmaster.tar.bz2 --no-same-owner
An alternative could be to use GParted to help with this process. Just to note in the future these detailed command will be provided in helper scripts.

================================================== ===========

Question: How can I set the IP address in failsafe mode?

Answer: If doing this for a single unit you can enter failsafe using the 'failsafe' command. Once inside you can set the IP address through typical means. When you reboot again you should re-enter SD. The boot preference is SD, NAND, failsafe and the Warp will automatically work through this list only if it fails to find or boot an image.

================================================== ===========

mrecoskie
11-17-11, 03:43 PM
apt-get update (update list)
apt-get upgrade (upgrade packages)
apt-get install <p> (install package)
apt-get remove <p> (remove package)
dpkg l (list installed packages)
apt-cache <s> (search for pkgs in repository)

warp-nand2sd (transfer nand software to SD)
cat /proc/cmdline (to see if running from nand or SD)
factory_defaults (invoke factory reset)
failsafe (enter failsafe)
bootmode set nand (override boot preference and boots to nand; after set 'reboot' needed)
bootmode set sd (override boot preference and boots to sd; after set 'reboot' needed)

mrecoskie
11-21-11, 01:58 PM
A quick preview of the new Warp platform.
ftp://ftp.pikatech.com/outgoing/customercare/Warp3_porting_guide.pptx

carlostico
11-25-11, 10:50 AM
Is it going to be a way to install the new software v3 to our old pika warps ? You guys said it was goin to be compatible and we have been waiting patiently , but now there is no documentation or mention about it ?
Are you going to leave us with the outdated software ?

Thanks